Tuesday 16 August 2011

Florida Cattle

Florida Cattle
20x24 inches
oil on wood panel
Paddiwhack Gallery in Gainesville, Florida
See my work 
HERE

Notes From the Studio

In 2009 I switched over to teaching online with E-Classes. It was the best thing I ever did for myself and my students. I am much more organized and more thorough with lesson plans than I used to be. I'm more focused too. Instead of a day or two to teach a concept, I have 6 weeks now for each. I like teaching online because it doesn't interfere with my painting schedule, my students get more of my attention too.

The unanticipated benefit is that I am learning from my own classes much more thoroughly than I ever did as a real time teacher. I think I have to do more research now, more illustrations, more thinking about how to paint than I did as a real time teacher. Teaching online effectively takes analysis of process in a way that real time does not. it's easy to pick up the brush and say "see, I do it this way" than it is to actually explain process in a virtual class. So now, as I paint, I must be thinking, How am I actually doing this and what do they need to do to learn to as well
.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment